T: +27 12 6634804
Dr Ian R Jandrell is the Chief Technical Officer (CTO) of ENGENAMIC, and Principal Advisor/Consultant.
Ian holds a BSc(Eng)(Electrical), GDE and PhD, all from the University of the Witwatersrand. He is:
- A registered Professional Engineer [PrEng] with the Engineering Council of South Africa.
- A Fellow of the South African Academy of Engineering [FSAAE].
- A Fellow of the South African Institute of Electrical Engineers [FSAIEE].
- A Senior Member of the IEEE – Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers [SMIEEE].
Ian is the Dean of the Faculty of Engineering and the Built Environment at the University of the Witwatersrand, where is also a Personal Professor in the School of Electrical and Information Engineering and the CBI-electric Chair of Lightning. He also previously held the Transnet Chair of Systems Engineering at the University.
He holds directorships of Global Africa Projects t/a Engenamic, Innopro t/a Engenamic Innopro, Crown Publications, Wits Enterprise, Outreach Engineering NPC, PowerOptimal and the Eskom Expo for Young Scientists. Ian is a trustee of the Accenture Education Trust in South Africa.
A strategic thinker, Ian is a consultant and advisor to industry, in addition to his academic activities:
- Ian has high level engineering skills and experience in strategy, management, projects, systems engineering and engineering design.
- He has a range of experience in forensic engineering, including as an expert consultant and expert witness. He also has engineering mediation experience.
- His particular expertise also includes various specialist technical areas, including high voltage engineering and lightning safety & protection.
- He has consulted to numerous local and international organisations, including international research agencies, regularly presented specialised training courses for industrial practitioners, and is an experienced speaker, presenter and trainer.
- Ian is an Associate Editor of the Journal of Lightning Research and a Member of the Scientific Committee of the International Conference on Lightning Protection (ICLP). He serves as a Member of the Board of Directors and as a Research Advisor for the African Centres for Lightning and Electromagnetics (ACLENet).
- Ian also has a particular strength in managing and directing specialist engineers and researchers.
At Wits Ian is a joint leader of the High Voltage and the Lightning/EMC Research Group. He has an NRF C-rating as a researcher and is the author or co-author of more than 100 papers in the areas of High Voltage Engineering, Earthing and Lightning Protection and Industrial EMC.
In 1994 Ian was named SAIEE Engineer of the Year, and in 2011 he was named as the recipient of the SAIEE’s premier award, the President’s Award.